Latitude 34 Technologies
HomeAbout UsBlogContract SupportEmployment

July 6, 2010

Around the world with the iPad!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Paul @ 12:46 pm

My good friend Karen just returned from a trip across the pond.  She took her 3-day-old iPad with her, leaving her MacBook at home (a very bold move that was not without apprehension for her).  She just returned and I asked if she would pen a guest blog entry about her thoughts on traveling with her iPad.  Here is what she had to say:

OK, so I only went as far as the England and Wales, but it was a thrillingly different experience than last summer when I hauled my laptop and Kindle along. This time, I left my wheely (it may not be in the dictionary yet, but just wait) carry-on home and took one 13”x12”x4” soft-pack bag in which my purse, camera, sweater, toiletries kit and iPad fit perfectly. Not having to schlep an extra carry-on was just the first of many conveniences.

The Kindle app allowed me to share all the books on my Kindle with my iPad and order more along the way. The backlit screen is easier to view in many situations than the Kindle, which requires a light source; when everyone on the plane is snoozing or viewing a movie, there is no need to turn on a reading light. In its protective case, the iPad props up comfortably either vertically or horizontally, making reading as comfy as it gets. (The only drawback, which applies to the Kindle as well, is the necessity to turn off your book during take off and landing.)

My personal and business email, which follows me everywhere, was easy to access and reply to in any wireless zone. (The roaming services are quite expensive overseas and best reserved for use in the U.S.) I did come across a hotel with Ethernet cables, which don’t plug into the iPad (no USB port), but there is almost always a wireless area in the lobby of such hotels.

Bottom line: No regrets about adding an iPad to my IT armamentarium, especially for its ability to streamline the travel experience.

7 Comments

1. Great to hear how well the iPad worked for travel. We have a trip scheduled soon and are looking forward to using our ipads on our journey. It’s so easy to read books on the iPad. Carrying one small device instead of 6 books! Nice!

Comment by Cindy Brokaw — July 10, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

2. I just got one and am very excited about the many ways I’m going to use mine. One specific use is for my hobby of family research. It’s the perfect way to have all your files and research resources at your fingertips anywhere you go whether it’s to a library or on vacation. Very handy!

Comment by Rosa Avolio — July 10, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

3. I cannot wait to get an iPad – I can finally have all my books in one convenient and easy to carry format – hooray! Great article Karen!

Comment by David Willett — July 14, 2010 @ 8:46 am

4. I’ve had my iPad for a couple of months, and I just love it. Dare I say, I can’t imagine not having it. Attachment can be a cruel thing, but I’m definitely attached. I’ve been on a couple of business trips and it’s perfect. It doesn’t fully replace a laptop for business, but it does about 80% (or did Paul say that?).

Besides Kindle, which I am using, I’d like to hear about other great apps people can’t do without. Okay, I’ll start.

For note taking, Penultimate is the best. Get yourself a Pogo stylus and away you go.

Dropbox for accessing file from the office or home.

Then use iAnnotate to be able to take notes on a pdf file.

Webster Dictionary. And lastly for now, Flixter. Oh okay, one last one,

Netflix; I’ve been watching Dexter and the Tudors while riding my stationary bike.

Have I said too much?

Comment by Sean Mason — July 28, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

5. @Sean – I just got my PogoStick stylus, very nice for writing and drawing.
    GoodReader: will let you store any doc locally, acts as a sort of WiFi flash drive and can be the go between app for moving files/attachments between mail/dropbox/iDisk/Google Docs/ftp/box.net/etc. and any app on your iPad that is compatible with the file type you are trying to open, plus you can view a ton of document types in the app. My fav is using it to transfer a PDF wirelessly from my PC right into iBooks.

And it goes without saying, but: Angry Birds 😉

Comment by admin — July 28, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

6. Since ipads are quite new I was pleased to hear how traveling with one was. Her report was great, letting me know there won’t be usb ports. And learning too that the roaming charges are high will help with travel planning in Europe too.
    This is the kind of helpful and timely information that I like getting from my computer IT people. Thank you so much!

Comment by Calla Gold — August 14, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

7. Okay, so we’re going to Egypt. I want to bring a couple books on Kindle on my Ipad. Will I be charged Roaming charges while I’m using it?? AND, if I were to load a document in DropBox, would I be charged roaming charges while reading that? OR, must I be in a free Wi Fi zone to use these apps?? As you can see, I’m a newcomer to all of this… Thanks for any help.

Comment by Bonnie — January 14, 2011 @ 9:15 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.